The nuns of St. Mary's Convent, Ascot had wanted to teach local children and took on the running of the school next to St. Francis' Church when it was first opened in 1892 with thirty - four children. It was not, however, until after the arrival of Mother Bonaventure in 1899 that the school was declared efficient by Her Majesty's Inspectors. Mother Bonaventure was to remain as Headmistress for some forty years until her retirement in 1939. Mother Peter, from St. Mary's Convent, then became Headmistress.
A London school was evacuated to Ascot in 1939 and were placed in South Ascot Village Hall, not far from St Francis School. At 5.20 a.m. on the 10th November 1940 the school buildings were destroyed by a stray bomb dropped by a German plane. There were no casualties apart from a pet tortoise asleep under a hedge but the fifty children attending the school had to be accommodated elsewhere. For three weeks they shared South Ascot Village Hall with the London School before being transferred an old building belonging to the Church of England school in Upper Village Road, Sunninghill. Their stay, which was meant to be temporary, lasted for some thirteen years.
In 1946 an architect was engaged to rebuild the school on the site by St. Francis Church for a hundred pupils. He reported that additional land or a change of location would be necessary. Plans were then shelved when a one form entry school in Bracknell was planned.
Conditions, however, in Sunninghill were shocking and were made more difficult after the 1944 Education Act which stated that children had to remain at school until they were fifteen years old. Father Martin Cawley, Franciscan Guardian from 1952-1957, realised that something had to be done urgently. He bought a reconstructed army hut for £595 and, having sited it by the church in Ascot , opened it in June 1953. The school was back where it had started - an important point as the Bracknell scheme faded out of sight.